The Nigerian army has said that it will clear the Boko Haram “terrorists” hiding in Baga, a town in Borno state.
There were reports that on Thursday, December 27, 2018, insurgents attacked the headquarters of the 7 brigade multinational joint task force (MNJTF) at Baga and hoisted their flag.
But in a statement, Sani Usman, director army public relations, said soldiers are in pursuit of the insurgents, while officers of the air force have been mobilised and are engaging the “fleeing terrorists”.
According to him, Baga has not fallen to Boko Haram and promised to keep the public updated with reports.
The statement read:
“Please recall that yesterday, Wednesday 26th December 2018 suspected Boko Haram terrorists attacked the headquarters of 7 Brigade Multinational Joint Task Force (MNJTF), Baga, Borno State, at about 7.00pm.
“The troops along with their Nigerian Navy counterparts put up a very determined fight to repel the attack throughout the night, while Sector 3 Operation LAFIYA DOLE sent in reinforcement who are in hot pursuit of the terrorists. Similarly, a Search and Rescue team has been constituted.
“The Nigerian Air Force component has also been mobilised and are engaging the fleeing terrorists. Unfortunately, a naval personnel was killed in action. So far, no further details of casualties yet as efforts are ongoing to clear the terrorists hiding in Baga and environs.
“We enjoin all to remain calm as the troops conduct clearance and mop up operations. We implore members of the general public to disregard any contrary information circulating on the attack. We will keep you posted with development on the pursuit and mop up operations”.