The organised labour has called off the nationwide strike scheduled to commence on Tuesday, November 6, 2018.
The strike by the union was meant to press home workers’ demand for an upward review of minimum wage.
According to the union, the strike was called off at the end of the meeting of the tripartite committee set up by the federal government.
Ayuba Wabba, president of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), told reporters that the decision to suspend the industrial action was taken after agreements were reached and documents signed. He said that:
“Having reached this position and agreements signed, the proposed strike action is hereby suspended”.
Efforts to resolve the disagreement between government and labour initially suffered a setback on Monday, November 5, 2018 as both parties failed to reach consensus on the minimum wage.
After meeting for over seven hours, the two teams arrived at different figures. While labour insisted on 30,000 naira, the government delegation proposed 24,000 naira.
Chris Ngige, minister of labour, had said the two figures would be forwarded to President Muhammadu Buhari for approval.
The meeting which continued at 10pm for a further two hours of deliberation, finally had both sides to agree on an amount.
Though Wabba did not disclose the figure of the new minimum wage arrived at by the committee, he said only the amount would be presented to President Buhari.
According to him, the amount would only be made public after the committee’s report would have been presented to the president by 4.15pm on Tuesday.
The NLC president thanked all their tripartite partners for its understanding while particularly, appreciating the role of the private sector.
Ama Pepple, chairman of the committee, expressed delight that the assignment had been concluded. She said that:
“I am happy to report to you that we have concluded our assignment and we will submit our report to the President by 4.15pm on Tuesday.
“We will reveal the figure at the presentation”.
- TINSEL STARS LINDA EJIOFOR AND IBRAHIM SULEIMAN GETTING MARRIED
- KANO HIGH COURT STOPS INVESTIGATION OF GOVERNOR GANDUJE