NATIONAL INDUSTRIAL COURT HALTS ORGANISED LABOUR NATIONWIDE STRIKE

thelinkng

, News Page

The National industrial court has ruled that the organised labour cannot go ahead with the nationwide strike scheduled for November 6, 2018.

Ruling on Friday, November 2, 2018, Justice Sanusi Kado, said that the planned strike by the Nigerian Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) will cause huge economic loss to the nation.

Justice Kado’s ruling was based on an ex parte application filed by the ministry of justice, urging the court to halt the industrial action.

The unions had threatened the strike action, following disagreement with the federal government over the minimum wage for workers.

They had earlier gone on strike in September, 2018 but suspended the industrial action after talks with government.

While labour demanded an upward review of the minimum wage from 18,000 naira, the federal government proposed 24,000 naira while the state governments suggested 22,500 naira.

And labour just recently rejected the proposals and pegged its demand at 66,500 naira.

Labour also accused the government of not showing any sign of seriousness to resolve the workers’ concerns.

The judge who adjourned sitting till November 8, 2018 also said that the intended strike could also endanger the health of many Nigerians by the time hospitals are closed.

Leave a Reply